• Nuttavut Phonsri Suan Sunandha Rajabhat University, Thailand
  • Boonyada Pahasing Suan Sunandha Rajabhat University, Thailand
  • Nathayu Wantayakul Suan Sunandha Rajabhat University, Thailand
  • Pornchai Trusjaithum Suan Sunandha Rajabhat University, Thailand
Keywords: Motivation, Esports players, Esports


Esports in Thailand were recognized as a professional sport in 2021, influencing the increase of a number of esports players. This study “Motivation Factors Affecting for Esport Players” aims to investigate esports behavior and motivations influencing decision-making to participate in esports. This is quantitative research. The sample consists of 400 esports players in Bangkok. The sample was collected using stratified sampling, simple random sampling, and a questionnaire. The data was analyzed using frequency, mean, percentage, standard deviation, Pearson correlation coefficient, and stepwise multiple regression analysis.
The results showed that most of the samples were male 70.5 %, average age 19.65 years, average of playing hour per day was 6.03 hours per day. Most popular game genres include: 1) Adventure Game, 2) FPS (Action First Person Shooter Game), and 3) Fighting Game. The level of total motivation influencing the decision to participate in esports was high (=3.45). Esports graphics (=3.92) were the most important factor of extrinsic motivation, followed by esports content (=3.86). The intrinsic motivation was the desire to win the competition (=3.81), and the intention to participate in esports was moderate (=3.04). The results of the analysis using multiple linear regression showed that all of the independent variables in the equation were predictive variables, accounting for 65.6% of the variation in the dependent variables, with the remaining 34.4% due to other causes.
The research findings can be used in marketing planning. Based on the information of esports players, it can be used as a guideline for planning game development. Organizations related to esports have established a policy to support players esports to professional sports in the future. Furthermore, this research suggests that organizations involved in esports should have a plan or policy in place to promote Thailand as a center for organizing both national and international competitions, as well as prepare a manual of the pros and cons of esports in order to create a positive attitude for those involved directly and indirectly.